“Cosmetic acupuncture is as much about the body as it is about the face. Your internal health will be assessed and you will be treated constitutionally to make sure that you are glowing from the inside. Imbalances and illnesses show on your external appearance and this will be addressed to achieve the best and longest lasting results. My commitment to all my patients is to help them feel better to look better.”
– Vivian Tam. BAppSc(Chinese Medicine),
Certified Cosmetic Acupuncturist.
Vivian trained with Mary Elizabeth Wakefield, a world renowned cosmetic facial acupuncturist. She has been awarded with the title of Educator of the Year by the American Association of Oriental Medicine (AAAOM). To learn more about Mary and Cosmetic Acupuncture, please visit her website at www.chiakra.com
What are the benefits of Cosmetic Acupuncture?
- Moisturises the skin by increasing circulation of blood and lymph to the face
- Improves muscle tone, firmness and elasticity of the skin
- Helps lift sagging and drooping
- Fills out sunken areas
- Helps eliminate fine wrinkles and soften deeper wrinkles
- Improves facial colour, leaving glowing and radiant skin
- Brightens the eyes and helps lift drooping eyelids.
- Stimulates collagen production
- Improves hormonal balance to reduce acne
- Tightens skin pores
- Improves appearance of scarring
- Reduces stress evident on the face & slows the aging process from within
- Leaves you feeling refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated.
How many sessions will I need?
Every person responds differently to treatment but patients can usually see an improvement in skin tone and colour after the first session, however, more substantial and visible results are usually seen after about 6-8 treatments. The amount of response varies between individuals depending on their age and lifestyle. Cosmetic Acupuncture treatment usually consists of 10-15 sessions and results are best achieved by having 1-2 sessions a week. Treatments are cumulative, meaning they build upon each other each time. Each treatment takes about 60 to 90 minutes.
Cosmetic acupuncture is a less expensive and safer option to surgical facelifts and has no side effects. You can expect a gradual increase in tone, more firmness (less sagging) and softening of facial lines. Problem skin, such as dryness, acne or rosacea can be improved or eliminated, particularly by combining external treatment with internal approaches such as herbs, dietary and other changes. Once the procedure is completed, results can last for 3 to 5 years. Maintenance treatments once a month can also be very helpful in maintaining the benefits.
How can it be explained in a Western Medicine perspective?
- Stimulates collagen and elastin production- a recent study conducted in Germany showed that needling the surface of the skin induces collagen production by up to a thousand times.
- Increases micro-circulation to the face, improving skin colour and lymphatic drainage.
Are there any side effects or downtime?
Cosmetic acupuncture is gentle and safe. There is no downtime associated with facial acupuncture, which means you can have treatments without having to worry how it may affect your day. We do however recommend being gentle with your body and rest after each session as the effect of acupuncture does still continue to work even after the needles have been taken out. The most likely effects post-treatment include flushing of the face. This is very normal and related to the increased circulation of blood to the face. Occasionally minor and temporary bruising may occur at the site of needle insertion. This is usually painless and resolves itself after a couple of days.
For more information, call Centre Of Health on 03 9441 0088.